It’s been a good week! Let me break it down by workout!
Monday found me back in the gym for a pretty intense workout. I actually got so caught up in circuit training that I never made it to the pool. I can’t say I missed the smell of chlorine in my hair though. 😉 This is what I did:
- 30 minutes on the recumbent bike, interval training but no steep hills (per PT).
- Circuit 2 x:
- Double-leg-lift w/ crunch x 15 (wearing 5 lb ankle weights on each ankle)
- Side leg-lifts x 15 each side (wearing 5 lb ankle weights on each ankle)
- Standing single-leg deadlifts to kick-backs x 15 each side (wearing 5 lb ankle weights on each ankle and using 26.5 lb KB)
- TRX low rows x 10
- Bicep curls x 10 (using 12 lb weights)
- Bicep forearm curls (using 12 lb weights)
- Overhead tricep extensions on an exercise ball (using 15 lb weight)
- French presses on an exercise ball (using 15 lb weight)
- Weighted pilates sit-ups (using 15 lb weight)
- 15 mins stretching, including full leg stretch series with resistance band.
I felt great after this workout and I saw my PT later that morning. She says my quads are getting noticeably stronger and as my vastus medialis strengthens the tracking issue with my patella should resolve. The brace I bought is making a huge difference and the PT encouraged me to start trying short-duration squats, lunges and planks.
The BIG news is TUESDAY I CLIMBED!!! Woo-hoo!! That also means I’ve re-discovered muscles in my back that I forgot I had. 😀 I started by riding a bike at the rock gym for 15 minutes and then I hit the walls. Whoo, I forgot what a cardio workout climbing is, coming into it with a sweat from the bike was tough! I started by climbing all of the V0’s, and I was feeling really good. I even did a V0 that was all overhang and it felt good and smooth. The leg exercises that my PT has had me working on are very core/psoas oriented which was perfect prep for hitting the rock walls. I felt strong despite not climbing in over a month. I then hit some V1s and a V2- before I decided I had enough. That was only about 45 minutes of climbing, but it was a great start and again the knee brace made the tracking issue nonexistent.
Tuesday after work I took a trek to Mission Hill in Boston to check out a recumbent stationary bike I found on Craigslist. It was totally what I wanted and at a good price so it was worth the almost 2 hours of driving to get it. When I got it home I did 30 mins on it.
I’ll admit, after two days of pretty intense workouts my knee was a bit sore today at the distal tendon attachment. So this morning I just did pilates with a glute focus. I did play with squatting and lunging a bit in there. I’ve also found that planks are pretty comfortable with the knee brace so I’m excited to start doing more plank exercises. When I went to PT today I let her know I was sore, but much better than last week. She was happy with my progress and told me some sore is ok, but to monitor it. She thinks I’m on an upswing and that’s my hope and thought too.
CLIMBING AGAIN TOMORROW WOOHOO!!!!!Share