C25K W7D2, Vibram’s Day 17

Posted by:

One of the things I’m really enjoying about running is that I encounter something new every week.  Whether I’m watching the trail evolve as the seasons change, or I’m experiencing new muscle aches and finding solutions to keep my body happy, there is always something new keeping my attention.  Yesterday, I was met with the challenge of a new weather experience.

“People run in the rain; I’ve seen it, I know it’s true!  Not only do people run in the rain, but many seem to really enjoy it!”  This is what I told myself and my co-workers before I set out yesterday into moderate to heavy rain.  I had run in light rain and light snow before, but this was the first time that I set out knowing I was going to get soaked.  I could have run on the treadmill at work, but then Toby wouldn’t have had exercise, I would have been bored, and I wouldn’t have had the awesome experience of working up a sweat while getting drenched by warm rain.  I totally made the right decision!

To prepare, I wrapped my iPhone in plastic wrap, strapped it to my armband, and wore a hoodie on top of that.  Amazingly, I could still hear the speakers quite well.  Now, the Certified Apple Technician side of me is obligated to say that I am not recommending you run outside with your iPhone (or iPod, or iPad or computer or anything else electronic, ok?).  I did it knowing full well that if it ended up getting wet it was my own damn fault for stubbornly taking it out in the rain with me.  Luckily, it stayed bone-dry throughout the run.

I stretched indoors because I knew I would rush it if I stood outside.  While it was a fairly comfortable running temperature, at around 60º, it was still uncomfortably damp and cool when I first trekked out.  The rain, however, felt much warmer than the ambient temperature and that encouraged me to get my body moving and dive right in.

This was another 25 minute run, as all of the week seven runs are.  It’s getting easier and easier to complete the long runs without getting cramps or muscle aches or breathing issues.  This run went very smoothly, especially once I took my hood off (it was just getting in my way and causing my to tip my head forward a bit) and succumbed to the rain.  Toby was pleased as punch to combine his two favorite activities: swimming and running.  He was completely drenched by the time we got back to the office and he lay upside-down for most of the afternoon with a big grin on his face.

I felt extremely accomplished when I got back, but I also felt a little wonky; it was as if I had sea-legs.  It wasn’t a bad feeling, but I was definitely a little out of it for about 30 minutes; thankfully it was lunch time.  I’m also thankful that I carry so many extra clothes in my car so I had plenty of dry things to put on.

Today, I feel great!  I should mention that I did end up wearing my knee braces.  My right knee felt a little achy yesterday morning; I most likely was using poor body mechanics during the massage session with my client the previous evening.  I just didn’t want to risk it.  I’d still like to phase those out if possible, but the health of my knees comes first!

Tomorrow is the last week seven run and it looks like it’s going to be a HOT sunny day!

  Related Posts